LAS VEGAS, Nev. (March 12, 2008) – The heavy-duty construction market has a new powerhouse.The newest truck model in the proven PayStar line – the International® PayStar® 5900i Set-Back Axle (SBA) was introduced at the CONEXPO-CON/AGG Show held in Las Vegas March 11-15, 2008.
The new Paystar 5900i SBA is a class 8 vocational on/off-highway vehicle that features a new axle configuration to meet the needs of customers in severe service applications such as construction, oilfield, logging, heavy-hauling, mining, recovery and more. The wide-track, set-back axle design addresses customers needs for front axle load distribution and improved maneuverability.
Powered by Caterpillar or Cummins diesel engines up to 15-liter and up to 625 horsepower, the PayStar 5900i SBA is built on the strength of a standard 12.25-inch frame rail PayStar chassis. It provides the highest standard strength-to-weight ratio with RBM ratings at 2.3 million RBM. An optional double frame rail provides an increase to 4.7 million RBM.
The 5900i SBA offers the widest aluminum cab in the industry and comes with standard Whisper Cab® sound insulation package for a comfortable environment. The sloped hood was designed for better visability on the jobsite.
This newest model adds to a robust International big-bore line-up, which includes the PayStar 5500i, 5600i and 5900i set forward axle models and WorkStar 7600 and 7700 models.
“The International PayStar 5900i SBA introduction signals our commitment to building heavy duty diesel trucks that peform in the most severe conditions,” said Phil Christman, vice president and general manager of International Truck’s Severe Service Vehicle Center. “By completing the PayStar line, there is now a truck for all vocational requirements. This tough, heavy-duty, high-horsepower truck will extend the PayStar legacy.”
Some of the purpose built design and innovations that are built into the new truck include:
• Up to 625 hp and 2,050 lb-ft of torque
• A heavy-duty front bumper with front tow pin capable of pulling up to 150,000 lbs.
• 47” set back front axle with up to 20,000 lbs. front and 70,000 lbs. rear axle ratings
• 6x4 (truck and tractor) and 8x6 tridem (truck) configurations
• The sloped hood coupled with an available one- or two-piece windshield provides for superb visibility
• 40-degree wheel cut with 425/65R22.5 floatation tires and wide-track axles for great maneuverability
• Standard dual power steering gears that require less steering effort (for front axles 14,600 lbs. and higher)
• Available outside air cleaners for improved air intake in high horsepower applications
• Standard Whisper Cab™ sound insulation package for a quiet cab environment
• Standard E-Coat / clear coat paint process for superior corrosion resistance and a virtually fade-proof finish
• Stylish West Coast mirrors are supported by breakaway C-loop door-mount brackets to decrease any damage to cab and thus maximize uptime
• A BBC of 121” to accommodate 15 L engine power
• Added mega brackets allow the radiator to be lowered 13.4” down and tilted 3.5° back to accommodate larger radiator packages providing cooling for up to 625 hp.
• Durable injection molded rubber fender extension provides splash / rock protection to accommodate wide track axles and tires
• Customized options like stainless steel exterior air cleaners, custom lighting packages and exterior chrome components are available to personalize the truck
• Available International® Eagle® interior package offers comfort and style; it includes a wood grain instrument panel with chrome trim gauge bezels and power windows and door locks
• The cooling package was created for stationary applications up to 600hp
• A tractor with a 51-inch sleeper is also available
The truck is currently in production and available for ordering now through International’s expansive dealer network with nearly 900 locations in the United States and Canada.
Navistar International Corporation (Other OTC: NAVZ) is a holding company whose wholly owned subsidiaries produce International® brand commercial and military trucks, MaxxForce™ brand diesel engines, IC brand school and commercial buses, and Workhorse brand chassis for motor homes and step vans. It also is a private-label designer and manufacturer of diesel engines for the pickup truck, van and SUV markets. The company also provides truck and diesel engine parts and service. Another affiliate offers financing services. Additional information is available at www.Navistar.com/newsroom.